This is a reflective and planning time of year for triathletes. The Triathlon season is basically over. We celebrated the end of the season in true Hawaiian style watching the World Ironman Triathlon Championships being streamed live from Hawaii through Facebook at our good friends Lou & Jonny’s House….
During the evening I was asked several times by friends “what are you training for?”….
The simple answer is sub 3 hours at London Marathon 2019 on Sunday 21 April.
This date is a long way off for me to be feel that that is what I’m training for right now! But athletes who are training for Olympics and Commonwealth Games will have dates YEARS in advance not months which are their reason for training….
Last week, I felt a bit of a “flop” and couldn’t motivate myself to get out the door and do some exercise on more than one occasion. I have reflected on why this was….
1. My goal of the London Marathon seems to far away for me….I need something this side of Christmas.
2. The group boot camp sessions I had been attending with the fabulous Heidi of FastTrackFitCamp a 3 minute cycle from my house have moved location to a 10-15 minute drive away….“not on my doorstep”, so was using that as my excuse.
3. My right foot which is always my “troublesome foot” has been niggling at me, which is just annoying.
4. We’re still not getting good quality sleep with our kids. One night last week we had 6 visits into our room between the 3 of them between the hours of 10.30pm and 5.30am….!
So, what can I do about these “barriers/excuses” and “what am I training for?”
1. Pre-Christmas goal – Friday evening, an email popped in to my Inbox from the Berkshire Road Running Association Secretary, Denise Robertson, to say I had been selected to run for Berkshire at the Southern InterCounties 10km on Sunday 18 November at the Brighton 10km. This brought a smile to my face and a reason to put on my trainers. To be honest there are MUCH quicker women in Berkshire that should be having this honour; but they clearly didn’t submit their best 10km time this season with the chance to have this opportunity….”you’ve got to be in it to win it!”
So it’s time to find some speed and also some childcare as Ian is running the Gosport Half Marathon on the same day and my parents are busy too….we’re on the search!!!
2. Strength training – So I’m a Personal Trainer (qualified pre-children in 2012), I should know how to do core and strength and conditioning work….I do….but do I make myself do the exercises I really should – of course I don’t, that’s why I go to a group session where I’m told what to do…!
It’s just so fortuitous that through the powers of Social Media I couldn’t help but notice that Marla Murray of BestLife Basics who covered my Group Circuits classes when I was pregnant has opened up her own gym specialising in “Ladies Learning to Lift” in Bracknell a 5 minute drive from my house….BINGO!!! No more excuses.
3. Troublesome Foot – I have a monthly pre-hab massage/body realignment session with the magic hands that is Diksha of FixMe….that was last Thursday… My calf which is connected to my foot (thigh bone connected to your leg bone etc etc!!) DEFINITELY feels looser…but my foot is still aching, the arch of the foot.
I ran last night; I was aware of the ache for the first 5 miles, when I picked up the pace for 2 miles I wasn’t aware of it – maybe because I was more conscious of being able to breathe!!!!! I’m going to get some Shockwave therapy on it this week from Sue at Optimum Performance Clinic and hope that will nip it in the bud….
4. Sleep – If only I knew the answer, but I know it would help my general mood and energy no end!!! But I have also been strict with “sleep when baby sleeps” rule; including lunchtime naps to catch-up and refresh!
Moral of the story – you can’t always be training for something, but it helps (me anyway!) to have goals and a reason to train and to do what I love; swim, cycle and run with other people but sometimes you do just need to listen to your body and slump on the sofa!!!!! If you would like to learn more on how to achieve the body and physique of your dream, you can read more here on Beachbody on Demand.