The body has picked up a niggle – one that’s stopped you in your running tracks and your plan….sound familiar??
I’m in that phase at the moment – mid block of London Marathon training, and I found myself on my foam roller at 3am after a long run and struggling to put weight through my hip!! I’m not quite out of the woods yet…..but here’s what you can do if you find yourself in a similar situation….
- Don’t panic – when does anything in life go to plan???!! There will always be curveballs thrown at you in any walks or paths in life….keep calm and don’t panic.
- Get someone you trust to look at your issue ASAP – don’t put it off…. the sooner you get something looked at the sooner you’ll be back on plan. Hopefully that person will be able to help you with the cause too and what you need to change to reduce the chance of the same niggle happening again….
I’ve been to see Andy at Resolve2Run three times in the last week for massage on my hip/leg – and Andy has also been sending me stretches and myo-fascial release to do in my own time.
- Adapt your plan – if you’re body isn’t up for running, but is up for swimming or cycling; do that instead…. I’m a firm believer that whatever your issue there is always some form of exercise you can do.
- Listen to your body – your heart more than your head! Your head will be telling you lots of things “it’ll be OK once I get going….” “I can’t miss another session” “I’m never going to get to the start line”….. But what is your heart telling you….. listen to it…..
- Focus on what you can do – channel your positive energy to what you can do with your issue. This may be focusing on stuff you sometimes “neglect” – dare I say it; core/strength training, yoga, stretching, sleeping more and eating more consciously…..
Very few journeys in life are straight forward – there are often curves and roundabouts to navigate; following a training plan is a similar journey….. If it was “easy” everyone would do it!!!